Workforce Development, Education & Training
Workforce education and training programs are available through Western Iowa Tech Community College (WITCC) and Buena Vista College.
WITCC’s Corporate College was formed in 1995 to provide workforce education and training solutions for the business community in the Siouxland region. Some of the Corporate College program areas include:
- Customer Service
- Employee Development
- Industrial Maintenance Management Training
- Microsoft Training and Certification
- Safety/OSHA Management Training
- Project Management
- Sales Development
- Strategic Planning
- Environmental Training
- Entrepreneurship Training
To meet employers’ needs for top-notch skills in digitally-driven, high-tech manufacturing and electronics, WITCC recently launched two new programs: Industrial Automation Systems and Manufacturing and Engineering.
WITCC works in partnership with businesses to develop customized training programs.
- If a company’s training goals are uncertain, WITCC will perform a needs assessment to ensure that they match the training with actual needs.
- Based on the training goals or needs assessment, WITCC will develop a training program customized to the company’s unique circumstances.
- The customized training can be delivered at the company’s site or on the WITCC campus at times that are convenient for the company and its employees.
- WITCC will also provide an evaluation of the training and its outcomes.
The Iowa Industrial New Jobs Training Program (260E) assists businesses, which are creating new positions, with new employee training. The program is administered and operated by WITCC. Eligible businesses may be new to Iowa, expanding their Iowa workforce, or relocating to the state. Up to 50% of the annual gross payroll costs expended for on-the-job training can be reimbursed for up to one year of the new jobs. A corporate tax credit is also available to a company that has entered into a 260E agreement and has increased Iowa employment by at least 10%.
Iowa Jobs Training Program (260F) helps businesses fund customized training for current employees. WITCC assists with the development of the training programs that are funded by forgivable loans. The maximum award for each project at a business site is $25,000. A business site may be approved for multiple projects with funding over a three-year period, not to exceed $50,000. A cash match is required for projects exceeding $4,999. The assistance available ranges from highly specialized to basic skills training for new positions. Companies engaged in manufacturing, processing, assembly of products, warehousing, wholesaling, research and development and the provision of services with out-of-state customers are eligible.
For more information on WITCC’s workforce solutions for business and industry, visit WITCC online or call 712.274.6400 or 800.352.4649.
Buena Vista University is consistently recognized in national publications for the high-quality education students receive for their investment. U.S. News and World Report ranked BVU a “Best Value” and “Top College” in 1999. Students can take individual courses, or work toward completing BVU’s majors.